Welcome to Dollar Health Centre
***Corona virus update***
The Corona virus (Covid -19)is a new respiratory illness that not previously been seen in humans. It can take up to 14 days for symptoms to show. These can include:
- A cough
- Shortness of breath
These are the practices arrangements from 8am on Monday 23rd March morning...
Anyone with symptoms of Corona virus, which include a new cough and or a high temperature should follow government advice and self-isolate along with their entire household and do not need to be seen unless you are breathless or symptoms worsen. (In force already)
***If you do feel you require to be seen all respiratory symptoms and possible Corona virus cases will be triaged by a central hub so please call 111***
If you do not have symptoms but would like advice regarding Corona virus please call 0800 028 2816
For all other enquires or appointments please phone the surgery.
SELF ISOLATION NOTE ('sick line')
The pharmacy are really struggling to cope with the volume of prescriptions requested. We can vouch its been a lot! Only prescriptions deemed clinically urgent will be dealt with as urgent. You will be advised that these can be collected from the pharmacy after 3pm. All other prescriptions require 3 working days for processing. Please do not call/visit the pharmacy or health centre until 3 days have elapsed since your request. We anticipate that this situation will ease shortly. Medication will not be issued unreasonably early or in larger quantities.
We absolutely understand people will have questions please but please use the helpline below if approriate.
*Coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline*
If you don't have symptoms and are looking for general information, phone the free helpline on 0800 028 2816.
The helpline is open from 8.00am to 10.00pm each day.
As we have people working from home and using mobiles to free up phone lines you may receive calls from the health centre that show up as unknown or withheld. Please answer the call. You are welcome to ask for deatils of your last consultation or the like to confirm who it is. We appreciate this isnt ideal but we are working in unprecedented circumstances.
NSAID & ACEi/ARB MEDICATION
Dear Dollar Health Centre patients,
We are very aware of the huge levels of anxiety this current Covid-19 situation is generating.
A question we have been asked repeatedly over the past few days is regarding using Ibuprofen. This has been doing the rounds on social media and causing a lot of concern. The theory seems to be that NSAID drugs like ibuprofen might dampen our ability to respond to an infection. There is as yet no published data or study evidence about this. The c...urrent position from NICE and the MHRA is, while we can’t say for sure at this stage, patients may wish to avoid ibuprofen to self-manage Covid-19 infection. If you take it for other reasons, like joint pain or arthritis, you can safely continue them and should not stop.
The other big medical scare this week was that ACEi/ARB (blood pressure drugs like Ramipril or Losartan) use may also lead to worsening outcomes in Covid-19. This was another piece of speculation blown out of proportion and disseminated globally via social media.
The European Society of Cardiology was quick to release a statement to reassure patients on these medications that there is no scientific basis to the claim or evidence to support it. It also reported that animal studies suggest they may in fact have a protective effect from serious lung complications although it stresses there is no data in humans as of yet.
The position now, then, is please do not stop your ACEi or ARB. The last thing health services around the world need right now is an increase in heart attacks or strokes.
Thanks for your ongoing support as we all navigate this anxious time. News and guidance is arriving on a daily basis, and we will do our best to continue to get the most reliable information out to all of you as soon we have it!
Our latest update (17/03/20):
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 please stay at home for 7 days. All household contact should remain home for 14 days. You do not need to contact us unless you are breathless or symptoms worsen. Please check the NHS inform website for information. Community testing is not available. DO NOT ATTEND the surgery with symptoms without prior discussion.
- We have moved to a full triage system meaning any appointment requests will be discussed by phone. Over the next few days we will work to triage/cancel all routine appointments already booked.
- We are being overwhelmed by prescription requests we cannot issue extra or early medication the supply chain will not cope. Routine prescriptions will all be sent to Lloyd’s pharmacy unless otherwise agreed. Please check for current opening times. They require 3 days to dispense the medication. Arrangements for clinically urgent prescriptions will be discussed on an individual basis.
- Fit note (sick lines) are not required for the first 7 days (we are awaiting guidance on whether this will extend to 14 days).
- We have suspended online appointment booking.
- We will not issue recommendation letters for holiday cancellations. We can also not offer opinion on whether to travel. Please refer to Foreign Office advice
- The practice will be closed every day between 11am-12pm so all staff can attend a briefing and look after themselves and each other. Be kind!
- The wider Dollar community are working together to support those who are self-isolating, whether this is through getting shopping for them, lending a listening ear (via the phone), walking a dog or picking up prescriptions. A leaflet will be distributed by them over the coming days.
It is with heavy hearts that we put these changes into place, and we understand that this is a significant change to the way you access care from us. We are lucky to have such a compassionate and responsible community. We believe that with your support and understanding through this unprecedented time we will be able to keep the practice running and support you. We will keep you updated with any further changes.
The surgery is accepting registrations from new patients. If you want to register with the practice, please either call into reception to pick up some registration forms or click here for more information . If you want more information about the practice first, you can download our patient information leaflet from this link too. If you choose to register with us, we look forward to welcoming you as a patient to our surgery.
We are using video consultations in some cases during the Covid 19 pandemic. The use of this facility is by prior arrangement only!
Patients who require medical advice (that does not include symptoms of Covid 19) should phone the practice first. Further information on the service is available at https://www.nearme.scot/
The link to our waiting room is https://nhsattend.vc/fv-dollar